Notification of Social Security Number Collection and Use
In compliance with Section 119.071(5), Florida Statutes, North Florida Community College (NFCC) issues this notification regarding the purpose for the collection and use of your Social Security Number (SSN). North Florida Community College collects and uses your SSN only to perform the College duties and responsibilities. To protect your identity, NFCC will maintain the privacy of your SSN and never release it to unauthorized parties in compliance with state and federal laws. The College assigns you a unique student identification number which is used for educational purposes at NFCC, including the access of your college records.
North Florida Community College may collect and/or use your Social Security Number for the following purposes:
Admissions and Registration
- Federal legislation relating to the Hope Tax Credit requires that all postsecondary institutions report student SSNs to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This IRS requirement makes it necessary for NFCC to collect the SSN of every student. A student may refuse to disclose his/her SSN for this purpose, but he/she may be subject to IRS penalties.
- The Florida public school system uses the SSN as a student identifier. It is beneficial to have access to the same information for purposes of tracking and assisting students in the transition from one educational level to the next, linking all levels of the state education system. The intent is to establish a comprehensive management database of information which will co-reside with the Division of Public Schools Information Database and the State University System Database to provide integrated information at the state level for educational decision-making.
- SSNs appear on official transcripts and are used for business purposes in accordance with parameters outlined by the U.S. Department of Education.
Veteran Administration Benefits
- The SSN is required for enrollment verification and reporting for all Veterans Administration beneficiaries. A Veteran student is required to report his/her SSN in order to receive the appropriate benefits and for tracking purposes.
Federal and State Regulations
- Tracking uses are authorized by SBE Rule 6A-10955(3)(e); 1008.386, F.S. and the General Education Provisions Act (20 USC 1221(e-1)).
- Hope/Lifetime Tax Credit uses are authorized by 26 USC 6050S and Federal Register, June 16, 2000/IRC Section 25A
- Registration uses are authorized by 119.071(5), F.S.
- Issuance of Form 1098T for tuition payment reports are authorized by 26 USC 3402, 6051
- The College Reach-Out Program (CROP) uses are authorized by 1007.34, F.S
- Required by 38 USC 3471